Monday, August 24, 2009

Weekend Getaway

So, after school on Friday, we all packed up and went on a road trip! ha. We went to Trude and Ivars summer house a couple of hours away, close to a town called Risør. I had a blast and did a million things I never would have before. I think the highlight of the weekend was when Trude and I went swimming. It was freeeeeeeezing cold. :) After a very hesitant leap, and searching to make sure the jellyfish were far enough away, (I was a little scared of them. :), we were quickly gathereing shells. I have no idea what they are in english. Some type of clamy oystery type thing. :) We caught enough for supper that night, along with some ordinary snail shells. As we headed up to the house, with the breeze actually warmeming me up, ha, Trude spotted a quite larger than wanted aunt house. It was neat to see though. :) Once we arived back at the cabin, we began the preperations for the meal. After the shells were washed, boiled, and.....thats it, we ate them. They were delicious. I loved them. It was kind of weird, but I think I liked the little shells the best. You have to use a tooth pick to kind of pry them out. ha. Delicious. Anyway, that wasn't all that we did. We drove into Risør and the view from pretty much anywhere, was spectacular. We got to catch part of a sail boat race, look through a small meuseum, walk up the mountain to a spot where you could see what seemed like the whole world. :) I loved it. It is so different from home with the trees and mountains, that I think I sometimes get too caried away looking at all the scenery. I do miss the farm, but not enough yet to want to come home. :) I truly love it here. I am kind of writting out of order. The shell thing was the last thing that day. Before in the day, was when we visite the town. Before we left on Saturday to go back to the cabin, we ate a delicious meal fit for a king, at a restaraunt where Katerine, Ivar and Trudes oldest daughter, worked before she left for school this year. Okay, so....now Sunday morning. Trude and I attended a protestant mass. I had never done that before, but it was still very neat, for that day, there were two baptisims. The family and friends were dressed up in their Bonads. You should reserch these. They are so beautiful and each area of Norway has their own designe to help distinguish where you are from. The church was very small and quite old. The inside was beautifuly decorated with some belongings of a ship that, if I understood right, was stranded on the shore near here. I may be wrong, but I think this is the story. The organ, the people, everything was lovely. After mass, and a quick messy ice cream :), Trude and I headed back to the cabin for some lunch. After a while, we jumped back in the car and headed out to a place called Jettegrytene. It means giant potholes. :) It was where some graciers years before had rotated and made holes in the rocks. It was kinda neat. :) We also, don't have those. ha. There were so many new and exciting things that my mind just couldn't keep up. I also learn new words everyday, and about 5 minutes later, I already have forgot them. It is alot harder also, to write a word down, because the next time you go to see it, you have already forgoten the pronounceation. :) sigh. :) Anyway, after that, we left for home Sunday eavining at around 5, stoped for supper, and then arived. I really enjoyed the trip and it didn't last long enough. I can't wait to go back sometime. Hopefully the weather will permit.




So, this is the largest hole that was there on this part of the rocks. There is a picture below of Ivar with the hole, to show the size. Just scroll on down. :)





My little snail shells! How I loved them. :)

Ivar doing a nice job as our tour guide. :) It was quite windy once we got to our destination...if you can tell. I though it was nice to show the size or the hole in comparison to the body. Kinda neat.














The shells! This was so fun. I can't wait to get them again....and eat them again. Yumm!
The sign leading to the big "pot holes". I guess this should have been before the other ones....its kind of out of order. Sorry. ha.













Trude fishing. I looooove the scenery and the way the sun was that evening. I wish you could all have been here to see it too. The picture just doesn't give it justice.



















This was some of the sail boats that participated in a boat race that we were able to catch part of. Where we have no seas, the sail boats always catch my attention.












A little star fish!













This is the same place where Trude and I were fishing earlier in the first picture, but this is facing the other direction. :) I couldn't take enough pictures.
















This is the view from the cabin. It is sooo lovely. If I had it my way, I never would have left. :)















A Jelly fish. It doesnt look too atractive from this picture, but I had to put it on here....its not every day taht I get to see one, you know. :) I can admit though, I was a little scared to swim in the water with them near by. I did not want to have anything to do with them if they were going to sting me. :)
Norwegian Word of the day: Til- to

No comments: