Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hand Ball

Toaday was a little more layed back. I got up and ready for school, as usual, and had a Norwegian class from 8:10 to 9:10 then had a math class from 9:25 to 11:25. Mr. Macintosh would have liked that. :) Maybe not if I was in there that long, ha, but I am sure he would have liked to have all of the kids attention for more than just half an hour. I enjoyed the class though. Already knowing the math that the kids are learning, leaves me time to listen to what the teacher is saying and learn what words match up with what he is trying to teach. It is harder to do that in Norwegian class, because the teacher simply talks the whole hour....about something, as of right now, I am not so sure. :) But with math, even if the techer talks the whole class period, I am still able to match words with numbers, and phrases, and different lessons. One interesting thing, is that the subjects here are way different than in America. Math in America is many different levels. We have Introduction to Algebra, Algebra I, Introduction to Geometery, Geometry I, Algebra II, Pre- Calculous, Calculous....and so on and so forth. Here they have where you learn all of it through out the year in the same class. Each year, you just learn a little bit more about each subject kind of. So, I'll have to see which type of learning I think is better. :) After math, was lunch, and then I had a free period the rest of the day, so I could have gone home, but I had to take school pictures at 2:25. So, we did that, and I stayed and talked with some of the girls for a while, and then headed home at around 3:30. I came home, ate some delicious supper, yum yum, and then went with Ivar to watch a Handball practice. It is so neat. I still don't understand a thing that they do, ha, but it looks neat. :) I think before comming here I had only heard of Handball like once during P.E. and even then, its not the same game as this at alllllll, so yeah, completely different. Maybe, Mr. Mann and Whit can try to teach the "reall" one. ha. Anyway, I definetly have noticed a lot of differences in the way we live. I will be sure to write them all down each time I think of one. :) Later. Sara
Norwegian word of the day: Vest- West ha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara!
Therese plays handball every tuesday and thursday at 8. If you like to go with her just let us know. You can watch or maybe you can try playing yourself :o)

Laila

Anonymous said...

I see. So school does start early as we do in the U.S. It was only at noon on those first days. I understand now.
Teacher from Illinois.